CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
A new question is answered every 9 seconds of head Woolly-headedness Sugar craving

From time to time, 20 mins to 1/2 hour after eating, I can get the following symptoms:

Extreme fatigue
Occasional buzzing sensation in top of head
Sugar craving

This can last for a day and maybe two to three days and even with food I have regularly with no ill effects, such as carbs. After the symptoms start to lift I can get almost too much energy which feels rather edgy like I've had too much caffeine, so I feel rather hyperactive which is very uncomfortable. This can last a day. Then I'm back to normal. I do have slight chronic fatigue, some dyspraxia symptoms and irritable bowel with occasional attacks of ulcerative proctitis/colitis. Could I have allergies??
Hi and thank you for your question. Allergies are possible, but you may have postprandial hypoglycemia whereby shortly after a meal is taken, too much insulin is excreted and the blood sugar drops rapidly. This can be verified with a glucose tollerance test ( Physician ordered) `
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. I had a glucose tollerance test some time ago and it was negative. My symptoms can last for at least two days and result with my hyperactive stage, so much longer than you'd expect for hypoglycemia I thought! I also didn't mention I can feel queazy then too.

Can you advise on how to investigate possible allergies and what I can do?

There sounds to be a nutritional imbalance of some kind... specifically glucose related. You may need your GTT repeated... the highs and the lows can also indicate an anxiety issue prompted by the blood sugar fluctuations.

Edited by CamilleRN on 12/1/2009 at 5:06 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will ask my GP to do another GTT. Nutritional imbalance sounds probable with my gut problems and dodgy brain function. I thought maybe nutritional deficiency but my GPs say that's not possible as I don't have the usual symptoms! I'll ask them again. This is a complicated problem!

Many thanks.

Sometimes the usual symptoms are not always there.. you certainly do have enough of them for it to be a strong consideration. I wish you the best! :-)