Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical
19689124

blood in urine

blood in urine
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan RN replied 4 years ago.

Hello,Customer I will do my best to help you. Can you give me more information about the blood in your urine?

Has this happened before?

Do you have pain before, during, or after going to the bathroom to pee?

When did this start?

What color is the blood? - dark red, bright red, clots, black?

What medicines do you take?

What medical conditions do you have?

This information will help me help you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Never happened before, it started this morning

I have some pain (feels like I have a full blatter all the time)

It is a light red, not dark at all

I have Type 1 Diabetes for the last 8 years now. Am on two different insulins. (Lantis and Humalog).

No other medical conditions.

Expert:  Susan RN replied 4 years ago.

Do you have to pee a lot but when you try to pee, you only go in small amounts?

Does your lower abdomen hurt when you pee?

Are you chilling like running a fever?

Can you describe the pain you are having and when it occurs?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, i feel like i have to pee a lot and i only go in very small amounts

The pain is in the very low abdomen area when i pee

I have a soar throat right now but no fever

Expert:  Susan RN replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like you have a urinary tract infection. You will need some antibiotics. Call your doctor's office or go to a clinic so they can run a urine sample to check for bacteria. Once the urine specimen is through and they have diagnosed you with the urinary tract infection, take acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) for pain. (There are over the counter meds from AZO that have medicine in them to numb your bladder but it will cause your urine to be bright orange in nature. YOu may not want to try that until you notice no more blood in your urine. ) I would also have them look at your throat as well while you are there just to be sure it is not something that needs more attention.Be sure to drink plenty of water and avoid soda pop. If you include cranberry juice in your diet, that would be a good thing also. They do make some light or sugar substitute versions.

Keep an eye on your blood sugars. Your blood sugar could go up a little due to this infection.Be sure to mention your diabetes when you go to the doctor or clinic for the urine test.

If you tend to get yeast infections from antibiotics, ask the doctor for diflucan which is a pill to help prevent and treat yeast infections.

Thank you for allowing me to help you today. I will keep you in prayers. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Please click the accept button when our session is done. If you are very satisfied with my information, a bonus is welcomed. Thank you. I am here to help you.

Susan RN, Nurse
Experience: RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical