Dr.Tiwari
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

i have a ganglion cyst of the knee and would like to know wether

i have a ganglion cyst of the knee and would like to know wether this will be causing my symptoms which are a feeling like a tight band going from the back of my knee right round to the front accompnied by a burning sensation, also the knee feels very uncomfortable when stretched out and only feels a little better vwhen i bend it.when clothes or bedding touch the skin it feels as though it is burning from the pressure
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.
Will you please answer some questions so that i can serve you better-
1.Since when it is there?
2.Is there back pain?
3.What is the exact distribution of pain?
4.Do you have any pain & noises in knee on movement?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the sensations i have now have been here for about six months.i originally went to my doctor with a swollen painful knee and was diagnosed with a bruised meniscus and small ganglion cyst.the pain and swelling of my knee got gradually better but then began these other symptoms.it starts as a burning on the outside of my left knee and then i get a tight feeling which starts in my calf and goes right round to the front of my knee.it feels like a tight band around it.i sometimes feel pins and needles down the back of my leg which travel into my left foot and the foot sometimes feels numb.i have limited sensation in my left big toe at all times.i do sometimes get mild low backache.there are no noises from the knee and it is more of a throbbing sensation i have behind my knee rather than pain.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for information.

The problem of alternation in sensation in the foot & leg are the symptoms of nerve compression & these are showing that you may have compression of the nerve segment L4-5.The cause of this compression may be in the back in spine or in the leg at the outer part where a nerve supplying to the foot & leg known as common peroneal nerve turns around the upper part of the febula-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray832.png

The cause of this compression may be any trauma or a deformity of the leg like excessive knee bowing.This symptom should be evaluated by having a EMG & NCV study of the limb which will be helpful in locating the site of the abnormality.You may also need MRI of the back for it.Till then you should do following to have relief-

1.Avoid knee bending & frequent stairing up & down.

2.You may have a neural analgesic like tramadol with paracetamol to have relief.

3.Add a neuroprotective vitamin like Vit.B1,6,12 to help with recovery.

4.For your knee you may have a chondroprotective substance like glucosamine with chondroitin sulphate .

Hope this will be helpful.

----------------------------------------------
If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience: M.D.