Experience:  + 26 yr experience; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Top 100 Health Professionals', & Who's W

I am a 32 year old female. I am experiencing palplitations

I am a 32 year old female. I am experiencing palplitations for the past 6 months. Lately they have become very frequent, through out the day & night. My bloods came back low in B12 & Iron, thyroid came back normal. I have cut out Gluten and started taking B12 & iron tabs a month ago but no change, I gave up caffeine and cut back on alcohol 2 weeks ago but no change. Had a Holter monitor fitted for 24hrs yesterday - had palps all day long, heart feels like it stops for halve a second and then pounds back with the next beat. My fear is the monitor will come back as "normal palps" and I'll still be left with them, I'm hardly sleeping and very worried, I feel my heart is racing all the time
Category: Health
Expert:  RAJESH CHAUHAN replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Has an echocardiography been done? Any valvular defects of the heart / cardiomyopathy?

How low was your hemoglobin level?

When do you have these palpitations more often?

Do you smoke?

Any anxiety/ stress?

Have you had blackouts/ fainted anytime?

Any family history?

Any other medical issues/ significant history?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No Echo done as yet

My B12/Iron were send to be bordering on low

I experience more palpitations in the evenings & at night

I smoke approx 20 per day

I have a fairly stressful job

I have not fainted but feel light headed a lot

No family history

no other medical issues

Thanks for the additional details. Having gone through your descriptions, it seems that now (after having discontinued alcohol as well as caffeine, and having started taking B12 and iron supplements) the palpitations may be resulting from:

(a) Stress/ anxiety

(b) Smoking

Having said that, your doctors would surely want to exclude any structural defect within your heart like a prolapsed valve or conduction abnormalities as a cause for the palpitations.

You would need to stop smoking and caffeinated beverages as well and it would do you well if you could reduce your stress/ anxiety levels as well. You may seek expert help for reducing/ managing stress/ anxiety.

Kindly have a look at this web resource which provides authentic details about the effects of anxiety/ stress and the modalities available for managing it, as I think it would be quite helpful:

I hope that this information helps. Best wishes. Kindly feel free to enquire if you have any remaining concerns or doubts and it would be my privilege to try helping you as much as I can.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Many thanks for your reply. Can you explain to me why now after many years of smoking & a stressful job I am now experiencing these symtoms? Would beta blockers help "re-set" the electricity in my heart and therefore stop these palpitations? Will the results from the monitor indicate the type of palps I am experiencing? I have read there are many different types, some serious and some not.

Thanks. As to your query about having this problem now, I think that it would a combination of so many factors like increased stress and anxiety, associated and aggravated by factors like caffeine, alcohol, smoking, a low hemoglobin, etc. There are many patients who present like this (and have been normal throughout their life). Your doctors would also like to evaluate your heart for its rhythm and any associated abnormalities. Hormonal changes and electrolyte disturbances are also found implicated in some patients and your doctors would surely be examining you in details before they come to a conclusion.

Yes a Beta blocker is helpful in some select patients, but the doctor has to first determine the cause for your palpitations and if you do fall in that ‘select’ category who could benefit with a beta-blocker. Please do not take beta-blockers without consulting your doctors first.

I hope that it helps. Best wishes.