Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Hello, I am a white 32-year old male. A week ago while giving

I am a white 32-year old male. A week ago while giving me a massage, my girlfriend told me that the skin around my anus was darker than the rest, like if it was tanned. I did not think too much about it, but then some days later I started to search on the net. It is apparently normal. Is this so? Is there anything that can be done? I have seen that there are a lot of anal bleaching creams in the market, but most of them have chemicals. The only one I think is completely natural is made by a company called South Beach Skin solutions. Would you recommend me to do something about it or just let it go? I have to admit that when I have checked in the mirror is rather unsexy.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX in advance.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

You are correct in regards XXXXX XXXXX fact that darker pigmentation of the anal skin is completely normal.
It is a matter of personal preference as to whether you want to use the over the counter anal bleaching solutions but you must keep in mind that these products can be very irritating to the skin despite their claims otherwise. No product is considered 100% safe as they are not studied by the FDA. Long term complications are not known.

If you do want to try the product, you should use a test dose in a small area to see how you are going to react first before using in the entire anal area.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello again and thanks for your answer. I am not really afraid of irritation because than I would just stop using the product. My concern is more about if it can increase the risks of skin cancer or dermathological diseases. Do you know something about this? What is the general thought about this bleaching by doctors.

Thanks again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks,

I am not really concern about irritation, because then I would just stop using the product. My concern is about whether the use of these products can increase the risk for dermathological diseases. What is your opinion as a doctor?

Thanks again
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
The concerns have been more with the hydroquinone products, kojic acid and the possibility of some of these products also containing mercury. With these, there is a possibility of increased risk of cancer and scar formation.

The one that you have chosen does not contain these so it appears to be "safe."

It is purely a cosmetic choice and because the products are not studied by the FDA, basically it is a patient's personal choice as to whether they want to risk trying these products.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see. Thank you so much. I guess I will not give it a try then.

Best.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome.
It is up to you, the one you have looked at does not contain the worrisome ingredients.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,

just one question more. When you said above that no long-term effects were known, you mean that the only risk I take with that cream is irritation or, that it could bring other long-term problems but are not known so far.

Sorry for late reply. Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
That is no problem--

The long term problems are not known so far...
But again, the cream that you have indicated does appear to have less risks than many of the ones out there.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Now I see.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome.