Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Ive had a massive head ache for 3weeks, every time i stand

Ive had a massive head ache for 3weeks, every time i stand up i get dizzy spells.. i have a 2yr old daughter so i cannot meditate in a quiet place.. yes iam stressed but not all of it is stress related. it wont go away.

Is the headache one sided or on both sides of your head?
Any tearing of the eyes?
Light sensitivity?
Sound sensitivity?
Nausea or vomiting?
Nasal congestion?
Do you have a history of headaches?
Have you seen a doctor for evaluation?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the headache one sided or on both sides of your head? all around my head
Any tearing of the eyes? no
Light sensitivity? no i wear prescription sunglasses and reading glasses 24/7 and have had my eyes recently examined
Sound sensitivity? yes
Nausea or vomiting? nausea yes
Nasal congestion? no
Do you have a history of headaches? yes i had them 3 years ago and my iron levels were low but they are fine at the moment, i was taking iron supplements for a week but it did not work either. my mother and my 2 brothers suffer from migranes and are on santimigrane
Have you seen a doctor for evaluation? yes 4 and they keep telling me its stress and just to meditate, though i have been very calm over the past few weeks and have relaxed.
Thank you for the additional information,

I am sorry you are suffering from these headaches. I know how horrible they can be and it is not helpful when someone tells you to relax (although as you know stress can make them worse, relaxing doesn't always get rid of them....)

With your family history of migraines and the fact that you have nausea and sound sensitivity with your headaches, it sounds like you may have migraines as well.

Migraines will typically start on one side of the head but can become bilateral (both sides) with time.

I would consult with a neurologist or a headache specialist if you have not seen one. An MRI should be considered since this has been persistent for 3 weeks.

Avoid taking pain medication daily, as this can lead to chronic daily headache. One thing that you can try if you have not is Excedrin (I know you don't live in the US so I am not sure of the equivalent where you live. It is a combination of aspirin, acetominophen and caffeine). It can be helpful in people who have migraine and is over the counter.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have.

I hope that you feel better.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!