Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical
19689124

hi my seven year old daughter has very bad sinus which causes

hi my seven year old daughter has very bad sinus which causes her nose to bleed. she has also developed a sore above her ear which is full of matter which keeps recurring can this be related to her sinuses/
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.

Greetings,

Since how long ? How large is the sore? In which part of the ear?

Regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its about a year now , above the ear lobe the doctor gave her 2 courses of anti-biotics but its three months later and its back.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.

Do you think the nose bleeds could be from dry air in the home? How often does she get the nosebleeds and how long do they last?

Have you tried putting antibiotic ointment on the ear sore?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the nose bleeds come every time her sinuses are congested and we have used bactroban on the sore

Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.

Have you tried using a sinus rinse system with her like a neti -pot or a saline sinus rinse?

What is the deselex? I am unfamiliar with that drug name? Is it a decongestant or an antihistamine?

Does the sore on her ear always look the same? Pus- color? Amount?

Has it ever been seen by a doctor and cultured to see what is causing it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DESELEX IS A ANTI-HISTAMINE(DESELORATADINE 5 MG) ONCE A DAY. THE SORE ALWAYS LOOKS THE SAME A LOT OF PUS .ITS SKIN COLOUR ALSO VERY PAINFUL CANT SLEEP ON THAT SIDE.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.

This is what I would suggest: For the sinus issue, try adding a decongestant(sudafed or something over the counter) to the medicine you are already giving her. The decongestant will help decrease swelling of nasal/sinus passages. Continue the antihistamine if you need to dry up secretions or if it is for allergy symptoms. Get a bottle of saline nasal spray and have her use it each day to provide moisture to her sinuses or you can try a neti-pot if you want to help her with it. It will help rinse her sinuses out.

For the ear, since it is not healing, I would take her to the doctor and have them look at it. THey may want to take a sample of the drainage to test it, then give her an oral antibiotic. Acetaminophen (tylenol) for the pain. Try putting a warm soak on her ear to help soften the tissue and increase circulation to the ear sore. It will most likely feel good to her having that warm wet wash cloth on the area.

Be sure she and anyone who touches her ear washes their hands with soap and water which you already know to do so the infection will not transfer to anyone else or anywhere else.

Please let me know if you need anything else. I am here to help you.

Please click the accept button at the end of our session. If you are very satisfied with this information, a bonus is welcomed. Thank you.

Susan RN, Nurse
Experience: RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical