Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

I have had a bad cold for three weeks. After week one, I was

I have had a bad cold for three weeks. After week one, I was on azithromycin, but after finishing it, started feeling sick again (congestion, sore throat) that continued to get worse. Now it's in my chest as well as head. Doctor prescribed sulfameth/trimethorprim and have been taking for past 3 days. Still feeling bad. How many days into these antibiotics can I expect to feel better?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like it may be viral and that is why the antibiotics are not helping. Take some Mucinex DM three times a day. Do some steam breathing in a steamy shower or put a towel over your head with the hot water on in the sink. Take really deep breaths to help liquify the secretions so you can get them out. You can also use a nasal spray for about 7 days to help clear out secretions.

Do you have any additional questions about this?