Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.

My husband has for the last few months suffered the following

My husband has for the last few months suffered the following attacks 2/3 a day and at night. They suddenly come on without any warning and he feels really ill with them. The symptoms are trembling inside his body not outside - tightness inside as if he is being crushed inside - feels very cold and yet hot and causes a very upset stomach - throughout the attack he feels pain. He is 84 and has reasonable health for his age although since having a fall on the 1 August of this year and going into hospital to have a ball replaced on his hip the doctors discovered he had chronic potassium which caused his kidneys not to function properly. Since being out of hospital the potassium is not so high but he still has a slight problem with kidneys. He is a diabetic but very mild, was on Metformin but taken off because of kidneys, he is on Adalat LA 60 for high blood pressure - but very much in control + Simvastatin 20 mg and has just gone on to Ramipril 1.25 for proteinuria. Thank you. P Judd
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 6 years ago.
Hello Judd,
By looking at all details which you have given it looks that your husband may be suffering from a sub acute infection the presence of shivering with presence of fever is supporting this.This infection may be in his operated site or may be a bladder infection or some where else.This can be evaluated by having basic blood tests like TDLC,ESR,CRP,BLOOD CULTURE,etc.Till from the safety point of view i will recommend to consult to your physician & request for a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Hope this will be helpful.

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your feedback. Although my husband does feel hot and cold he did not have a temperature - it was normal when I took it whilst having his last attack. He has very recently had a urine test and there was no infection, but did show protein, which is why he is on Ramipril for proteionuria. One is not aware of his trembling because it is inside rather than outside. He has also had blood tests for his potassium and diabetus which had reasonable results. Patricia Judd
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Patricia for input.

By going through all valuable information if there is no any hidden infection then in his case this inner trembling may be contraction of muscles which may be there either due to sudden alternation in his potassium levels.The maximum possibility of this may occur in his case as he is diabetic & on the cholesterol lowering drugs (which are also reason for this as it may lead to rhabdomyolysis & alternation in level of potassium) by looking at all this i will suggest you to check her levels frequently & if possible this should be done in hospital setting at the time of such attack.He should also be checked for his levels of CPK & SERUM ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE to check for rhabdomyolysis or muscle destruction.

Hope this will help in evaluating the root cause of his problem.