Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

My feet and hands feel very tight and numb but they are not

My feet and hands feel very tight and numb but they are not numb they have got a lot of feeling,they feel like they dont belong to me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for the question. Are your hands swollen?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no they are normal

Ok, what is your question today? Are you looking for answers as to why your hands feel this way?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes i am ,my feet are the worst as i lose my balance easily.

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Sounds like you might have what is termed "Peripheral Neuropathy". It affects both the hands and the feet as well as the legs sometimes. The Neurology consult is the way to go...just wish you didn't have to wait so long to get in. I will refer to Peripheral Neuropathy at "PN". PN can have many causes, as PN is usually secondary to another disease process. Things like Diabetes, use of alcohol, vitamin/mineral deficiency, shingles, certain medications, inherited diseases, kidney or thyroid disease, herniated, spinal problems, and autoimmune diseases. It is often treated by treating the underlying cause then using something Gabapentin (Neurontin) to control the numbness and other sensations you are getting.

I would say that if you are having swelling with your feet then it could be a problem with the valves in the veins of your feet and legs such as in Peripheral Artery Disease but since you are not having swelling, this would not be the most likely cause.

I would try to call around and see if I could get on several waiting lists if you are open to seeing more than just one particular Physician.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could myeloma cause these problems ?

Hi there

Myeloma can cause weakness or numbness in legs, but this is not a specific symptom of Myeloma. Your symptoms could be those of Myeloma, but I would not assume this until I had a chance to speak with the Neurologist and undergo some testing.