Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

When you fall and hit your head, what do you need to watch

When you fall and hit your head, what do you need to watch for to let you know when you need to be seen by a doctor?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Was there a loss of consciousness?
Memory loss for the event?
When did you fall?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fell in bathroom last night , no loss of conciousness no memory loss spot that ihit is tender to touch
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry that happened to you.

Did you lose your footing?
What was the cause of the fall?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
running into bathroom while playing with wife floor was wet and I slipped and fell
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Things to watch for after a fall/head injury are:

Worsening headache

Increasing nausea/vomiting

Visual changes

Unequal size of the pupils or very large/dilated pupils

Trouble walking or speaking

Confusion

Bleeding from the ears or nose

Weakness in the arms or legs

Seizures (that one is pretty obvious!)

Change in behavior (such as irritability or lethargy/increased sleepiness)

It is normal to have a mild headache and mild nausea after a head injury but if these are increasing you need to go to the hospital.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have.

Take care,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I alo have neck pain does that matter

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Is it worsening?
Do you have any visual changes?
Neck stiffness?
Fever?
Nausea?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not worsening no fever, no nausea, neck is slightly stiff, no headache pain only if I touch spot that hit floor
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
My suspicion would be that the pain is from the fall and resultant muscle spasm.
However, without examining you it is impossible to say for sure.
If you develop any worsening pain, dilated pupils/unequal pupils, nausea/vomiting, etc I would go to the emergency room.
Otherwise, I would try using moist heat and tylenol for discomfort now.

I hope that you feel better,
Let me know if any more questions,

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States