Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I have a sharp pain on the right side of my waist line

Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

On a scale of 1-10, how bad is the pain?

Is this above or below the waist line?

Is the pain continuous or intermittent?

Any change in urine or bowel movements?

Do you have a fever?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

pain scale 7

right at the waist, just inside my oblique muscule

pain is continuous , especially when I take a deep breath

no change in urine or bowel

no fever

Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information.

What actvities were you doing yesterday?

Do you drink alcohol?

Any recent travel?

Any cough or respiratory symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I exercise almost everyday, yesterday was lunges, situps, walked on the beach with my weight vest.

I drink NO alcohol for 12 years

no travel

no cough or respiratory symptoms

* I just did a sit up with no pain but if I take a deep breath or suck in my stomoach it hurts

Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Pain on the right side of the body can be a great number of problems and you will need to see a doctor for a full examination and appropriate tests.

The first thing is that pain on deep inspiration may be caused by inflammation of the lining of the lungs, however the absence of fever or respiratory symptoms reduces this possibility.

The fact that you can do a sit up with no pain implies that this is not muscle related, although cannot rule it out completely after your lunges and exercise regimen yesterday.

The fact that your bowels are normal reduces slightly the possibility of this being intestinal related, however again cannot rule it completely.

Kidney stones can present in the flank, and pain spread to the groin area although I would expect this pain to be more spasmodic in nature.

Finally the other common cause of right sided pain is liver or gall bladder related. The fact that pain is constant and worse when you take a deep breath could indicate an inflamed liver capsule.

I am sorry that I cannot be more specific however with a pain rating of 7/10 then I would suggest an emergency visit with your doctor or E.R. /A&E in order to get a full examination as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I use those sports supplement powders with creatine, arginine, caffeine etc.. every morning for the past 2 years.

I take a dose of nyquil every night to help me sleep

I take a double dose of physllium husks everday

Could any of these habits contribute to something?

Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

As long as you are drinking plenty of water with your regimen then the physillium husks should not have caused an obstruction, but with a heavy exercise regimen then you would need more water than normal.

Taking nyquil every night is not a good idea as tolerance develops to the effect, the acetaminophen can have an effect on the liver in overdose, but I would not expect it to cause an acute liver problem.

The sports supplements are not subject to the same testing as medication, and there have been reports of jaundice with creatinine and whey protein products. Certainly this needs to be reviewed however severe pain is an indication that something is wrong and that needs to be investigated before we say absolutely that the supplements are a cause.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.