Dr_Aroara
Dr_Aroara, Doctor
Experience:  MD; Medicine: br -7. MB; BS. Bombay, King Edward Memorial Hospital, mumbai 12
13130183

My report says loss disc space height at L4-L5 and L5-S1.

My report says loss disc space height at L4-L5 and L5-S1. L2-l3 intervertebral space demonstartes a psoterior ostephyte with slight flattening of the anterior thecal sac. Mild facet arthropathy. L3-L4 intervertebral space demonstartes a posterior osteophyte with mild facet arthropathy. L4-L5 intervertebral disc space demonstrates a posterior annular tear primarily right-sided. There is lateral recess stenosis noted right-sided at L4-L5. Moderate facet arthropathy bilateral with neuroforaminal narrowing noted left greater than right. L5-S1 intervertebral diusc space demonstrates broad-based disc buldge with eccentric disc protrusion seen left-sided at L5-S1 with slight effacement of the anterior thecal sac.

Can you please explain what each sentence means and what the standard treatment is? Thank you.
I AM APPOINTED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.
DO YOU HAVE ANY ANATOMICAL PICTURE OF A LUMOBSACRAL SPINE?
BECAUSE IT WOULD BE VERY EASY TO EXPLAIN YOU THEN. TRY TO SEARCH ANATOMY PICTURE OF A VERTEBRAE (LUMBAR) AND I SHALL WRITE DOWN IN THE NEXT POST WHAT EACH WORD EXACTLY MEANS

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=LUMBAR+SPINE+PICTURE&FORM=IGRE

PICTURES ARE AT THIS SITE REFER THEM FOR MY ANSWERS

Edited by Dr_Aroara on 11/26/2009 at 5:52 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

View Image

Heres a photo from the web. Is this what you needed?

yes good , this is a posterior anterior photo, and you may see in my link a lateral (side view photo too> enlarge both of them on screen (zoom)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm still waiting for an answer. Did you send it and I just didn't recieve it?.
I am sending you the answer now.
please refer to the diagram
vertebrae marked as l1 to l5 are L1 L2 L3 L4 AND L5
THESE are called lumbar vertabre
below this is sacrum and above l1 is dorsal or thorasci bodies.
L4-L5 AND L5-SI ( THESE AREA MEAN THE lower level of L4 vertebrae and the upper point of L5 vertebrae are reduced in height
DISC MEANS CUSHION AND the cushion has got pressed and flattened out a bit so the distance(SPACE) between L4 and L5 and L5 and S1 is reduced. SI IS THE UPPER LEVEL OF SACRAL BODY.
SO THE CUSHION OR SHOCK ABSORBER TISSUE OR ALSO CALLED DISC IS COMPRESSED. IT IS LIKE A OLD COTTON PILLOW WHICH HAS GONE FLATTENED OUT BY PROLONGED USE.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW NOW IF YOU HAVE UNDERSTOOD THIS MUCH.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I understand so far. Thank you. What pain would you expect someone with this condiiton to experience, how long would you expect it to last and what is the expected treatment?
I would expect
now
a catch while bending , twisting the waist, and crick in the back while sudden bending , strtching would relieve temperorily
if the spinal cord is free from compression from the protuded disc there would be back ache , and practically a compensated spine with weak back muscles
if the disc are giving a pressure on the spinal cord one would have burning feey, radiating pains in the feet, burning or tingling numbness in the soles or legs , or also if the osteophytes poke a nerve root or the disc compresses a nerve root , then one would hvae severe pain not relieved by medicines.

the treatment now should be
absolute bed rest,
traction of legs for almost 6 hours a day , and back exercises , of cource a spine surgeon would be the best choice if surgery is recommended when the pain is intolerable and weakness and paralysis of the legs ensue later if the condition is untreated.