A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My eyes get bloodshot red after I have sex and reach a climax.

My eyes get bloodshot red after I have sex and reach a climax. What is going on with me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I have a few questions. Do you have any other medical conditions, such as hypertension? How long has this been an issue? What medications and supplements do you take? Do you have any history of eye problems, such as glaucoma? When was your last physical exam and eye exam? Are your eyes just bloodshot, or do they also itch or water? Please let me know. Lisa

Two last questions. Does it look like broken blood vessels in the eye or just generalized redness? Also, how long does it take for this to resolve and they eyes return to normal?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, my eyes do itch and I do have high blood pressure but my blood pressure is fine. This has been going on for about a year. No I don't have eye problems and normaly my eyes are not bloodshot. I had an eye exam about 6 months ago. I am taking lotrel for high blood pressure and I take a multi vitamin. I also get blood work every 6 months. They are just red and it takes about 4 or 5 hours to turn back to normal.
I do apologize. I will be leaving for the afternoon. I am going to opt out of the question, so that another expert may assist you. Your information that you have typed will be available to that expert, and she can assist you. Have a good day. Lisa
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Lisa has asked me to assist you. Bloodshot eyes are caused by the bursting of the tiny blood vessels within and under the white part of the eye. They can be caused by high blood pressure, injury (even sneezing or coughing), vomiting, straining, and anything similar. Exercise involved with intercourse and the heightened blood pressure with orgasm may be enough to cause the bloodshot eyes. Since you've been checked out by your ophthalmologist, that is probably what is causing the discoloration, especially since it resolves over a course of a few hours. Some people also get a headache along with orgasm from that same heightened tension and blood pressure approaching orgasm.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just want to be sure that this is nothing to be concerned about.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My reply was the bloodshot eyes after climax, is it something to be concerned about?

If you have been checked by both your medical doctor to make sure your blood pressure is under control, and by your ophthalmologist to make sure your eyes are all right, then there is nothing to be concerned about.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist