Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Im a 27 year old female & have had thinning hair for the last

I'm a 27 year old female & have had thinning hair for the last 5 years, which my hair doctor said was genetic alopecia.I have been on yasmin, minoxidil & sironolactone which was working wonders.I've always had fine hair, but at least my hair looked the best it could considering my genes etc.However about 2 weeks ago I noticed some hair shedding again - i was on a very stricky diet for about 10 days & under lots of stress/anxiety - I went to my doctor to do my annual papsmear & told her I am thinking of going off yasmin as I dont want to be on it forever just because of my hair - & mentioned the hair shedding - so she tested for thyroid, iron, cholesterol & testosterone.When the tests came back she said everything is normal but the testosterone was slightly high so she would like to do an insulin fasting test to see if i might have PCOS.Im really worried now that i might have it and cant fall pregnant one day.im not overweight, no facial hair and periods are normal.please can you assist
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings.

What is your testosterone level (and what is the normal range of the lab, as it varies with the different lab)?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me! Unfortunately she didnt give me the exact level. I tried to call them now but they do not want to give it to me over the phone. All she said was that it is 'a little high'/'slightly higher than normal'. They used Ampath laboratorIes in south africa (basson du bruinette & kramer)

For what it helps, i dont have a masculine voice or masculine looks.

I dont know if i should see an edocrinologist?

With no other symptoms like heavy voice, normal periods, no obesity, no abnormal of facial hair, this is likely to be nothing serious and PCOS is not likely. Still this can be substantiated by the insulin fasting test. So you should not be worried. Yasmin can be responsible or contribute to the hair fall. Some hair fall is normal for all the individuals including women (around 15-25 hair a day). Only when this is excessive or continuous, one needs active treatment. In females the common causes of hair loss are following;

1) hormonal

2) aging

3) genetic

4) scalp problems like infections, allergies

5) vitamin deficiency

6) iron deficiency

7) hypothyroidism (low thyroid functions)

8) medications

9) telogen effluvium; recovery is spontaneous and typically occurs in 3-6 months

In your age group scalp local problems should be ruled out by the physical examination, by a skin specialist as the first step for the evaluation. Increase level of androgens can cause hair fall in females and the characteristic of this fall is generalized fall from whole of the scalp then the isolated area wise fall. If your fall is generalized, you may consider consulting an endocrinologist. Meanwhile start vitamins and iron supplements. If needed, you may continue using, Minoxidil, which may help hair to grow.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for putting my mind at ease. I will wait for the insulin results and hope its not pcos.

I have also decided to stop taking yasmin anyway becuse of side effects and risk factors such as pigmentation and blood clots, and try to look after the hairloss with minoxidil, iron and other vitamins. I am also trying to stop my chronic dieting that I've been doing on and off for the past 10 years which could not have been healthy.

Just 3 more questions then I'll leave you in peace! :)

1. Are there any safe/natural supplements that I can take to lower this testosterone/androgens or balance out my hormones in a more natural way?

2. Could stress be a factor that disrupts my chemical/hormonal balances? I honestly think it's out of sync as I experience extreme anxiety, slight depression, insomnia?

3. If it is PCOS, does that mean i will not be able to fall pregnant one day?

thanks!

Hello

You are most welcome.

You can consider any of the following natural products for the hormonal regulation;

1) Evening primrose oil

2) St. John's wort

3) South Pacific herb kava

4) Valerian root

These are available at health stores.

Stress is always very important factor for hormonal abnormalities and just stress reduction techniques should be able to take care of the high testosterone and hair fall.

PCOS does not cause infertility in all women. In some women with PCOS, pregnancy can be delayed or difficult. I would not be worried about PCOS in your case, with no features.

Eating well also should take care of the hair fall.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you so much!!! i will definately reccomend this site to colleagues and friends!

You are most welcome.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. Arun