Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

Have a bad rash around my waistline front and side only. Itches

Have a bad rash around my waistline front and side only. Itches sometimes real bad and somedays not at all. Also around my pubic region feels like little bumps when itching starts and then they go away after the itching stops. Was given nystatin triamcinolone acetonide works for a day or so then stops working. Also have tried cortizone,lamotrin,goldbond anti itch pretty much every over the counter stuff I think. Also this is leaving me a real ugly stain like appearance on the front of my waistline doc told me it was because of all the itching. So what I need to know is what is this condition how do I cure it and what will remove the stain. I am slighlt overweight and the doctor also said that this was a rash that was prone to happen in an area where skin overlaps but I do not have a humongous belly!!! Another thing is if this were true why do I also have the rash on my buttock left side only no over lapping skin?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

It sounds like you have some sort of dermatitis (eczema). If the Triamcinolone cream works for a day and then stops, you might want to consider a stronger steroid cream, such as Lidex 0.05% cream.

The condition of the overlapping skin you are referring to is called "Intertigo". If that was the condition, it would have improved with Triamcinolone and if you dont have overlapping skin, then it is probably not the right condition.

Sometimes we can pinpoint a cause for dermatitis, but 80% of the time we dont know why it occurs. What I would recommend for you it to see a dermatologist and possibly get a biopsy done to see what this condition might be. Sometimes with a biopsy it would be easier to prescribe a medication.

While you are waiting for the dermatologist (sometimes it can take awhile), I would recommend using Triamcinolone cream twice daily (small amounts, enough to rub into the skin without leaving any excess cream), avoid scrubbing the areas of the rash with soap, try to take quick showers with not very hot water. Use can also use a lotion which is available over-the-counter, called "Sarna lotion". This lotion is used to alleviate itching only, not to cure the rash. You can apply it as many times during the day as you need to, whenever it itches, you put some lotion on.

The discoloration you are getting is from chronic inflammation of the skin. Unfortunately, that can take a very long time to go away, if ever. It is important to see a dermatologist as soon as possible to get better relief and to avoid further cosmetic damage.

Please let me know if this answers your question or if you might have other questions I can help you answer.

Thanks,

Julia

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could this be any type of precursor to a more serious health problem such as cancer or any other type of serious illness? Is the lidex over the counter?

It is extremily unlikely that this is a precursor to something lke cancer or anything serious. It is more likely for it to be an allergic type of a reaction (maybe to a laundry detergent??).

Lidex is not over-the-counter. It needs to be prescribed. But it is a stronger steroid cream then Triamcinolone is.

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss