Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

C5-6 Broad based disc osteophyte complex with no focal herniation

C5-6 Broad based disc osteophyte complex with no focal herniation or extension of disc greater than 3 mm from the expected endplate margin. Mild to moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis suggested.
C4-5 & C3-4 asymmetric right disc osteophyte complex
Disk degeneration with diffuse annular bulging at the C4-5 level.
Annular bulging w/uncinate ridging at the C3-4 level. Bilateral foraminal stenosis, worse to the right with C4-5 & C3-4.
C4-5 A component of congenital hypoplasia may be present on the left.

Is this all normal for a 56 year old female? Never had neck or arm pain before until 1 1/2 years ago - injured lifting a carrying heavy equipment/files.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings.

I am sorry that your questions was unanswered for quite a long time

This is not normal for 56 years old female and these changes suggest degenerative spine and disc disease. Following measures are usually helpful (you may have tried almost all);

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in which pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

If the conservative treatment as above fails, surgical option of the spinal fusion may be resorted.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since I possibly had adhesive capsulitis in my left arm and now I have almost regained alot of the movement, still have a weak arm when tested for strength. Not sure if this is due to nerve damage or muscle problem. Is this common when you have the neck situation I have? Also, they say that most of the findings from MRI show findings on the right side not the left side where the arm hurts and has cold sensations, etc. I have a little numbing in my fingers at night on the right side and when I raise my right arm to do my hair . They do not consider that anything. So they do not have any findings yet for what is causing my arm pain, tingling, not quite full movement yet. I feel it could be from the bulging disc's - I could of had nerve impengement. Not sure why I still have the discomfort. I will be having an EMG but I was told that I was normal in my neck - just a little arthritis by one of the doctors. The pain can escalate so easily if I work on the computer or push a door open at the doctors office that has a little resistance to it, etc. This all started when I was doing some of the repetitive lifting I was required to do on my job. Now due to some light restriction with my arm and no overhead activities I do not get my old job back. Does any of this sound right to you or off?

A pain or other symptoms are quite distinctive to the pinched nerves in the neck. An adhesive capsulitis does not give motor or sensory symptoms (weakness, numbness, tingling etc). If these symptoms come; an EMG and NCV (nerve conduction velocity study) are needed. I would associate your weak arm due to the neck condition. Though, adhesive capsulitis may aggravate it. The findings of MRI may vary on both the sides but that alone is not the single criteria to rule out any pinched nerve as many times, MRI findings do not corroborate to the severity of the physical findings, signs and symptoms.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can it still be due to the neck if the EMG & nerve study do not show any nerve problem?

A pinched nerve will show some kind of definite findings in the EMG or NCV. If the EMG and NCV are normal, usually pinched nerve is ruled out.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What I am asking is if the pinched nerve is ruled out can the neck problem still cause the pain and weakness in the left arm still be due to the neck findings I gave you?

If the pinched nerve is ruled out; neck problem seen in MRI is not likely related to the pain and weakness in the left arm.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine