Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

YELLOWISH COLOUR TO EYES - URINE YELLOW TO ORANGE!!! VERY ITCHY

YELLOWISH COLOUR TO EYES - URINE YELLOW TO ORANGE!!! VERY ITCHY SKIN?

How long has this been going on?
Are you having abdominal pain?
Fever?
Have you had any testing for this yet?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HELLO

DURATION SINCE LAST TUESDAY (ISH) - NO ABDOMINAL PAIN OR FEVER - NO TESTING YET.

Just a couple more questions for you...

Have you traveled recently?
Do you have a family history of this?
Do you take any medications? (including herbals)
Drink alcohol (heavily)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

NO TRAVEL RECENTLY

NO FAMILY HISTORY OF SYMPTOMS

NO MEDICATONS

OCCASIONAL DRINKING OF ALCOHOL (NOT HEAVILY)

Ok, thanks for all of the information,

The yellow to your eyes, the brown color to the urine and the itching of your skin is all due to an elevation of bilirubin in your blood. The reason for this elevation needs to be determined.

There are many things that can do this, but it is usually due to a problem with the liver. Hepatitis A or B and other viral causes of hepatitis (mono, for example) would be two possibilities.

If you have a gallstone that has gotten out of the gallbladder and is stuck in the bile ducts, this can cause a backup of bile and lead to your symptoms as well, although usually abdominal pain is also present.

There is something called Gilbert's syndrome, which is a benign (not serious) disease where people, under stress, become yellow because their liver cannot process bilirubin. This is another possible cause of your symptoms.

You need to have a workup as soon as possible to determine the cause. Blood work and an abdominal ultrasound is likely where your doctor will start.

As long as you are not vomiting, do not have abdominal pain or fever and are eating, you can make an appointment with your doctor in the am. But it needs to be worked up as soon as possible.

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to answer for you.
Right now, no alcohol or tylenol which can affect the liver.

Take care.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HI

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

ONE THING I FORGOT TO MENTION - UP UNTIL A COUPLE OF NIGHTS AGO I HAD BAD HEARTBURN / INDIGESTION - IS THIS RELATED?

Yes, it could be a symptom of whatever is causing your jaundice (yellowing).

Gallbladder disease can lead to abdominal bloating/nausea/indigestion. If you had a gallstone that is now stuck, that is a possibility, although again I would expect some pain.

If you start feeling any worse, go to the emergency room today. Otherwise, doctor in the AM.

Dr Abby