Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

I had a fasting blood glucose reading of 118 mg/dl, in early

I had a fasting blood glucose reading of 118 mg/dl, in early september the on on september 30th I had an AIC test which came back as 6.5
I saw a dietician today and since August have lost nearly 12 lbs and have started exercising and eating healthy.
my question is am I diabetic or pre-diabetic and if so can this be reversed.
Hello;

Thank you for wriing in today. Diabetes is defined as a fasting blood glucose of 126 mg/dl or greater; therefore, this would be considered pre-diabetic. Your hemoglobin A1c equates to roughly 140-150 mg/dl average glucose level. Therefore, you are a great candidate for diet and lifestyle modifications. You may be able to achieve glycemic control with diet, exercise, and weight loss. Eventually, your blood sugar may not be as easy to control in the future; however, for now, modifying your lifestyle may actually slow the progression of diabetes. If you have a strong family history of diabetes, even the best lifestyle changes may not be able to completely ward off the diagnosis; however, making these modifications can really change the coarse of the disease for the better. Also, I do want to mention that certain medications and diuretics can have some effect on glucose. If you would like, I could review your medications, or you could discuss a possible connection with your provider. I hope this helps. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The blood pressure med is called IC hydrochlorothiazide
25 mg toua.

could this have an effect on blood sugar.
Thank you for responding. The way hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) acts in the body does cause some elevation of serum glucose. At this point, in December, after 3 months, you could discuss having your Hgb A1c level rechecked. If it is below 6% and you're still taking the HCTZ, you will know that your body has responded to the lifestyle modifications and that the HCTZ had less effect on the previous HgbA1c than your lifestyle. I hope this helps to explain. Lisa
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you were saying the 6.5 A1C relates to roughly 140-150mg/dl average glucose level.
what would it average if I were not pre-diabetic.
A non-diabetic usually has a HgbA1c of less than 6%. I hope this helps. Lisa