Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS from KGMU, India (one of the best medical colleges in India)
14102772

can hpv be spread through sharing razors? How long can it live

can hpv be spread through sharing razors? How long can it live outside the body?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

Transmission of HPV through routes other than sexual is definitely possible. One may be exposed to HPV simply by shaking hands as suggested in the finding of HPV virus under fingernails. It can also spread through sharing razors if it is contaminated.

HPV can survive outside the body for good amount of time, and does not require bodily fluids for transmission. Therefore, it is possible to contract HPV from surfaces that carry the virus, such as locker room floors and even razors.. I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well I don't have the kind that causes genital warts. I have the high risk kind.

If a woman is infected by a high risk HPV type she is at greater risk of cancer, but it doesn't mean that she will necessarily develop cancer. Infections with high risk HPV types may go away on their own, especially if the infected person has a strong immune system. There are different risk factors for cervical cancer like smoking, having multiple sex partners, prenatal exposure to diethylstilboestrol and others, but a persistent high risk HPV infection is the most important one. High risk too can be transmitted through contaminated razors. To read more on this topic you can follow this link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_papillomavirus Thanks.