Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

SWOLLEN FEET, ANKLES AND CALVES , ITCHING REDNESS ANKLES AND

SWOLLEN FEET, ANKLES AND CALVES , ITCHING REDNESS ANKLES AND LOWER LEGS, PAIN AND HEAVINESS IN LEGS . SHOES DO NOT FIT! PRESCRIBED KEFLEX BY MY DR.
MY MOTHER DIED OF CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE. SHE WAS 86 THEN. SHE STARTED WITH THESE SYMPTOMS AND CELLULITIS OF THE LEGS. WHICH SPECIALIST SHOULD I GO TO? I THINK IT IS VENUS INSUFICIENCY! WHAT DO YOU THINK? I HAD PLASTIC SURGERY IN MY EYES, FACE AND NECK A WEEK AGO. TOOK TYLENOL 3 FOR PAIN. THEN THIS GOT WORSE....THE SWELLING IN THE FEET . THE RASHES AND ITCHING WITH RIGHT (NOW ARE BOTH ) SWOLEN ANKLES STARTED 3 YRS AGO
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

There are a variety of reasons for swollen ankles and feet including high blood pressure, cardiovascular problems, circulation problem, kidney problem and something putting pressure on a major vein (the Inferior vena cava) and cellulitis, although both legs at once are less common.

Transient swelling could be related to prolonged immobility causing calf muscles failing to pump fluid back into the circulation. Other causes include varicose veins, side-effects of some drugs and being overweight.

A mild diuretic would be the first action, together with compression hosiery.

Keep your legs elevated at a high angle when you can to encourage drainage and if you have a sedentary job ensure that you get up and move around every hour.

Avoid caffeine drinks, but do continue to drink water. Reduce your salt intake too.

You mention that your doctor gave you keflex, I hope he also listened to your chest and ran some blood tests in the meantime?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NO, HE DIDN'T LISTEN TO MY CHEST. NOR TAKE BLOOD TESTS. I HAD RECENTLY PASSED A CLEARANCE FOR FACIAL PLASTIC SURGERY AND ALL WAS WELL! ELECTRO, BLOOD ETC. BUT THIS FLARED AFTER THE OPERATION. I CALLED MY PLASTIC SURGEON AND HE SAID TO SEE MY PRIMARY CAUSE IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PLASTIC SURGERY TO THE NECK FACE AND EYES. THEY HAD COMPRESSION STOCKINGS ON ME DURING THE OPERATION AND SOMETHING AROUND MY LOWER LEGS THAT INFLATED AND DISINFLATED TO PROMOTE CIRCULATION. I AM NOW LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME, EVEN IF I HAVE RESTED ALL NIGHT WITH FEET UP. HOWEVER, THE ITCHY ANKLE RASH STARTED 3 YRS AGO AND I GOT RIGHT ANKLE SWELLING IN THE PAST . NOW IT IS BOTH AND MY LEGS HURT. IT IS HARD TO MOVE AROUND , EVEN MY KNEES HURT
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Are both legs equally swollen?

Any shortness of breath?

Are you passing normal amounts of urine?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SHORTNESS OF BREATH WHEN I BEND FORWARD OR WALK AROUND, PASSING URINE OK WABBELIING ANKLES AND FEET HURT SO SWOLLEN! BOTH!
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Symptoms of shortness of breath on exertion and swollen ankles needs a proper cardio-respiratory examination and you should return to your family doctor or go to ER for a proper assessment. Certainly I would be suggesting a diuretic to help move the fluid and depending on the results of your physical examination then I would consider blood tests and additional scan such as ECHO.

Having an operation can cause complications and new symptoms should not be ignored.