Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

is osteopenia 100% curable

Customer Question

is osteopenia 100% curable?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Welcome to JustAnswer. To clarify the information you need, I need to know what the cause of your osteopenia is?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
9 years ago i have been feeling pain a little bit in my neck.it was increasing and increasing.doctors gave me pill of pain.for the years i take these.in 2008,july i take Aclasta as osteopenia is found.now bmd is improved and i am feeling better.Thanks.
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I'm glad you're feeling better.

To answer your question: As you probably know, Osteopenia, the precursor to osteoporosis, is a thinning of the mineral density of your bones. There is no "cure", however there are things you can do to control the condition. Your bones are living structures, and will always be prone to the affects of your nutrition and health status. Your bones will reach their fullest bone density by about age 30. And there are things you can do to boost that density, to keep it from waning as you age, and to keep the effects of osteopenia from progressing to osteoporosis:

1. Maintain a good intake of calcium and Vitamin D. Milk products, green leafy vegetables and calcium-fortified foods (calcium has been added; an example is calcium enriched orange juice) are the best sources. If you already have osteopenia, your need for calcium is about 1200mg per day; and Vitamin D is 800 to 1000mg per day. Make sure you get adequate amounts of these from foods as there are other minerals in foods that work along with the calcium for bone health. (such as magnesium and phosphorus). For Vitamin D good food sources are eggs, salmon, swordfish, sardines and sunshine on bare skin.

2. Reduce risk factors for osteoporosis: avoid smoking, inactivity, cola soda pop, and excessive alcohol intake. Another risk factor you may not be able to control is use of steroid medications (such as prednisone) which are used for some conditions like asthma.

3. Get plenty of weight-bearing exercise that will stimulate your bones to grow, and then later maintain density. Bones grow in response to stress. Walking, running, hiXXXXX, XXXXXcing are good exercise choices. Light weights and exercise bands can also help.

Bone health is a lifestyle. This is true for everyone, but for those with osteopenia or osteoporosis, it is essential to keep from losing more bone density. Once you have incorporated the above into your life and are able to maintain these things as your normal way of living---you will be "cured", which is to say you will be doing all you can to slow the progression of bone loss.