CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have right side abdominal pain after eating. Also have to

I have right side abdominal pain after eating. Also have to go to bathroom quite soon after eating.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
HI and thank you for your question. This type of pain after meals could be a couple of different things. Your gall bladder is located in the upper right quadrant of your abdomen, and it's primary function is to store and send out bile to break down the fat from a meal, if your gall bladder is not functioning well you will get right sided pain after eating a meal with fat content, the more fat the worse the pain. Another possibility is a bowel problem.. there is a syndrome called Irritable bowel syndrome where the colon or large intestine is overly sensitive and reacts to certain foods and stress causing cramps and bouts of constipation and/or diarrhea. You can try cutting out all high fat foods for a couple of days to see if this improves and try adding fiber ( with PLENTY of water) to your diet as well. If these symptoms continue you will have to see your Dr. for a diagnosis and proper treatment. I hope this information helps you, If so, PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT. Thank you and I wish you the best! :-)
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks I do not have constipation and/or diarrhea but also have a slight gasey taste in mouth and the pain is more of a dull ache.

It just that I am still relatively young and healthy as i exercise and unsure that someone my age can have this ache.

I am under stress as i am a teacher

Fibre foods like porridge

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
It is very possible to have gallbladder disease at your age, especially if you have had a high fat diet over a period of time and if you have a family predisposition for it. Have your parents had gallbladder disease?

Edited by CamilleRN on 11/6/2009 at 9:09 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the quick response

No there is no family history of this both my parent are 54 and very healthy.

As you can imagine just very concerned

regards

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.

Does the pain feell like it's near your belly button? Is your right side tender if you push on it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no not near belly button

right side dull ache just below ribs.

I would not say it is tender to touch

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry... but another possibilty is appendicitis. Symptoms are a dull ache near the belly button area or the upper abdomen that becomes sharp as it moves to the lower right abdomen, loss of appetite, nausea and or vomiting, abdominal swelling, and inability to pass gas. If your abdomen is tender, this is the most likely cause. You should go to the emergency room for an evaluation, the great danger with appendicitis is the potential for it to rupture, which can make you really sick.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was at my GP last week and said my stomach was a little inflamed but that I did not have appendicitis as the area was not hard. but not its just a dull ache under right rib cage.

They will not see me in A&E in Glasgow,Scotland as its not considered emergency

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Oh goodness... no ER. I'm sorry to hear that. What you can do right now is not to eat any solid food..because if it is appendicitis eating will make it worse.Do take plenty of fluids. You can continue to monitor your pain level and if it continues to worsen or,if you begin to have a fever or begin to vomit, these are cardinal signs and require immediate intervention. It is possible to have appendicitis which clears on it's own, but that is rare.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)