A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have heard that there is a cure for genital herpes and was

I have heard that there is a cure for genital herpes and was wondering if this is true. Also, if there is no outbreak,is it stll possible to transmit it to another person?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. There is no cure for genital herpes. There are antiviral medications that can be used daily to help prevent outbreaks. One is less likely to pass along herpes when there is not an outbreak, but sometimes the virus will shed without having blisters, so it is still possible.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information. I have not had an outbreak of any kind for many years. And I know that I have not passed it on to anyone I have been with because we have talked about this. My question is, then, how likely is it to pass it along. I have known couples who have been together for years and one has herpes and the other does not and remains healthy even without protection.

You are correct that it isn't always transmitted. Some people do go longer and longer times between outbreaks, even years. For those people their immune systems may be keeping it in check. Other herpes viruses can also remain quiet for years without causing a problem. Shingles (herpes varicella) is one of these. Other people can have a genital herpes outbreak every other month. There is no way to calculate the risk for any given person due to the individual makeup of a person's immune system. When there has not been an outbreak in years, many couples decide to forego any protection, especially since while herpes is uncomfortable, it isn't a life-threatening disease.