Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

I have lumps on inside of my cheeks. How to get rid of them?

I have 2 what feels like lumps on both sides of my cheeks on the insides...they are not painful or anything and like right besides both of them it looks to be white just like a small area on both sides...I'm not sure if I have just been biting or if something is seriously wrong with me! Both sides are a little tender if I push my fingers against it but nothing painful. I was tested for HIV a few weeks ago and was negative but I keep thinking thats what it is! I'm becoming a hypochondriac! I hope this is not HIV omg...I'm not sure what to do or what it is I have been told it could just be something called like lymphoma in the mouth if that sounds right and a dentist can take it off or in most cases it just goes away...NEED HELP...20 year old male.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a few questions. I hope you understand.
How long have you had these areas?
Do you use tobacco?
Tell me more about the lump locations---do they mirror each other (meaning located at the same place on both sides?) Also, where exactly are the lumps--try to describe the cheek location by describing the nearby structure, such as close to oral opening, next to lower or upper teeth, toward the back, near molar, etc.)
Also, I realize it is tender; however, when you feel the area is it soft and fleshy or hard and firm? What color is the lump? Any change in color when comparing the base to the center? How big are the areas? Where is the white area---connected to the lumps or far from? Does the white area look like a white waxy substance or more of the white discoloration associated with maceration (like when a cut is moist and the skin surrounding the cut turns white)?
I think this is a good start. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They basically mirror each other on both sides and then lumps are really no different color then inside of cheek just look puffed up and looks like some white skin on them....they are both located on the left and right side towards the upper back of cheeks on the top....not really tender honestly...soft and fleshy for sure...not big areas especially the white not very big at all..just looks like something if like bitten and it changes color...the white area is like right below and to the side of the bumps pretty much right next to each other...and white area to me seems more like discoloration doesn't really feel waxy at all to me...and no do not chew or smoke any tobacco.
Thank you for responding. I think I know what this may be; however, I want to find a picture for you. I think a picture will help put your mind at ease. Give me just a few minutes to find one.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks...this doesn't sounds like signs of HIV does it? I mean for all I know they could have been there for a month or months. I just started a few weeks ago worrying about my health for some reason...and have been checking my mouth and entire body like everyday freaking thinking I have HIV or something...
I am narrowing down a picture. While I find one, I just want to confirm something. Are the areas located near your second molars? Also, don't worry about the HIV. Take a deep breath. I will explain it all with my answer in a couple minutes. I really want to find a pic to help explain.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yeah, I would say so close to the top of my cheek and close to being parallel to the top of my teeth...
I don't think you have to continue to worry. I suspect that this lump is your parotid papilla. The parotid duct is located in that area. The inner cheeks have a fleshy mound of tissue that marks the entrance to the parotid duct. This tissue is the parotid papilla. I have it on both my cheeks, so do almost all people. Some people just never notice it, so, once they do, it can be alarming. I was able to locate a picture. Note the fleshy mound on the persons inner cheek. http://www.dentistry.vcu.edu/about/departments/opath/labcasex/textfiles/descriptions/sitepics/siteatlas/site30.html
Obviously, given the online format, I can't substitute as a provider. Therefore, if in doubt, you should consult a provider to confirm this is normal parotid papilla. Parotid papilla is a normal finding, and it is not associated with HIV.
I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, concerns, or need clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That looks about right...except for maybe that the white seems to be a little more noticeable when I actually look at it like....so this is something that just could pop up one day and then I may have just finally noticed it? Could the white be a little more noticeable than that you think? I appreciate all of your help you have really been informative....I just have been worrying because when I was tested for HIV a few weeks ago I was negative and then I started reading stuff about symptoms and I heard things about white spots and have been freaking...so I hope that I'm ok...so you do not think there is much to worry about?
tissue can look a bit lighter. Also, tissue can appear white at times. Chances are you've always had them, and they are now noticeable. I really, highly suspect this is just parotid papilla and not related to HIV. This does not sound like HIV lesions to me. To be certain, have your provider take a look. It won't hurt to have him/her take a look, and it will help put your mind at ease.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much I appreciate it.
I am glad I could help. Have a good night!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey one more ? lol...its possible for one of the lumps to be bigger then the other isn't it? My left side one seems to be bigger then the right side one...
it is possible. No one is perfectly symmetrical. :)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok I just was looking and it looks pretty darn close to what that picture that you gave me...my bumps just look a little bigger and the color is pretty close to that...I hope that's what it is...and I'm confident that you are right ha...I'm going to my doctor tomorrow or Friday so I can let you know.
Check with your provider. I think you'll be happy and more at ease. Have a good night.