Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

Hi 4 weeks ago i got the swine flu my doctor pulled blood to

Customer Question

Hi 4 weeks ago i got the swine flu my doctor pulled blood to make sure nothing else was going on. He found that my blood platelet count was only 128,000. I then went in yesterday to recheck my blood platelet and they had only increased to 132,000. Should i be concerned? My question is if it was cancer would my blood platelets increase? Could it take a while for my count to increase?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 4 years ago.

Platelets can decrease with viral infections. That is a normal response.

Normal with our lab is 130-400 thousand so you are back in the low normal range. You really don't have anything to worry about and especially should not be concerned about a cancer.

Platelets do increase in certain cancers but it would be greater than 400,000 and keep in mind that cancer is not the only thing that increases platelets.

Sounds like you are mending well!

Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So blood platelets don't decrease when it is cancer? I have been told that 150,000 to 400,000 is normal does this vary depending on the lab you are using?

Yes they can rarely with certain types. Usually they increase in production with cancers. You may be thinking of white blood cells decreasing with leukemia.

And you are right different labs do use different parameters.

Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much.
Your welcome!

Hello, I wanted to copy you from UP TO DATE a medical site that is used by many health care professionals regarding low platelet counts or thrombocytopenia.

I am sorry if you misunderstood me about leukemia. Yes it can also lower your platelets after your spleen is enlarged or you have had chemotherapy. I should have explained my answer better when I said "Yes, they can rarely in certain types"

I hope this does not confuse you more.

From Uptodate:

Decreased platelet production - Platelet production by the bone marrow can be impaired when the marrow is suppressed or damaged. In almost all disorders caused by marrow suppression or damage, white cell and red cell production are also affected. Examples include:

• After viral infections (eg, rubella, mumps, varicella, parvovirus, hepatitis C, and Epstein-Barr virus). Decreased platelet counts also regularly occur in children receiving live attenuated measles vaccination, but the thrombocytopenia is rarely clinically important [19]. However, when viral infections occur in a patient who already has marrow suppression from another etiology, such as chemotherapy, the ensuing thrombocytopenia may be severe.
  • Following chemotherapy or radiation therapy to sites of platelet production (eg, total nodal irradiation).

Increased platelet destruction - Increased platelet destruction is seen in a number of conditions, including:

• Alloimmune destruction (posttransfusion, neonatal, post- transplantation [21,22])
  • The HELLP syndrome (hemolytic anemia, elevated liver function tests, and low platelet count) in pregnant women (See "HELLP syndrome")
  • Following certain infections (eg, infectious mononucleosis, cytomegalovirus)
  • Physical destruction of platelets during cardiopulmonary bypass, within giant cavernous hemangiomata (Kasabach-Merritt syndrome), occasionally in large aortic aneurysms, and rarely in intravascular or intracardiac metastatic lesions [23].
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX me there is so much information out there that it is frustrating. I was looking for peace of mind and i got worried that you has misinformed me. Thank you for clearing it up. My doctor wants me to get another test in 8 weeks and you think how do i not worry while i am waiting.

I do understand completely. I was going to ask you about when your next CBC was. It really could have been due to the Swine Flu. Mono is another one that can decrease your platelets alot. You did not mention how your white count was. If that is in normal range than you should be sitting good!

I wish you the best!

I won't click answer again because that will charge your credit card again if you accept so don't accept again.

If there is a way for you to change my feedback that would be great but if you can't not to worry.