CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

i have been taking tegretol for 3 weeks. It made me very tired

i have been taking tegretol for 3 weeks. It made me very tired but was manageable. Last week I had a nasty flu and now have begun to itch in a maddening way. Do you think there is alink and what can I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your queston. Tegretol can certainly be causing the itching. I would have to recommend that you lstop taking it and let your Dr know first thing in the morning, as he most likely will want to discontinue it and order something else for you. There is a specific blood test to see whether or not you are sensitive to this medication, which many Doctors run prior to prescribing this drug because it is known to cause skin problems in susceptable patients. I hope this information has helped you, if so, please slick accept. Thank you and I wish you the best! :-)