A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

throat..back..my neck..my nose and mouth, then down my chest and trunk

Customer Question

Infectious disease: I am an adult. Frequently when I get a cold--runny nose, sore throat, headache, muscle aches, I also get small vesicles in the back of my throat. A day or two later, I get a fine, red rash that goes ap my neck to my hairline, a little around my nose and mouth, then down my chest and trunk, inside my elbows, and in my groin. It also itches. A day or so after that, the rash coalesces. When it resolves, the last place to clear up is in my elbows. I've been reading about viral illnesses and enterovirus has a rash, but I read that it is nonpruritic. I have had this type of "cold" for years. Do you know what type of virus it is? Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The only way to tell which of the hundreds of viruses that can cause this would be to have a lab test while you are having symptoms. Even then there are many non-specific (non-identifiable) viruses that can causes rash. It could also be allergies rather than an infection causing the rash portion of the symptoms, but again you would need testing to see.