Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

my head feels heavy and my eyes hurt if i look up for too long,i,v

Customer Question

my head feels heavy and my eyes hurt if i look up for too long,i,v been getting slight earache which i,ve never had before.i,ve been feeling low for a few days and i,m going to my gp on tuesday,but is there any advice you can give me until then please? thank you Emma
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Hi Emma

With those uncomfortably heavy eyes and heavy head, sounds like you have yourself some sinus conditions going on...possibly a sinus infection.

I can suggest a few things that you can do between now and Tuesday.

First, you can take a decongestant (Sudafed, etc) and also something like Mucinex. Both of these are sold over the counter and will help your heavy head-feeling and the eye pain. Also, make sure you are keeping yourself well hydrated as well.

As far as at home measure, you can put some warm moist cloths over your eyes and face as often as you would like per day. This often helps with the eye discomfort. You can also do a sinus irrigation.

First, you will need to make the solution:

• 1/2 teaspoon of non-iodized salt (e.g. kosher, canning, pickling, or sea salt)
  • 8 ounces filtered room temperature water
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

Then you will mix the ingredients in a clean container. Stand over the bathroom sink. If using a bulb syringe, tilt your head down and place the syringe into one nostril. Give it a gentle squeeze so that the water comes out the other nostril.

There may be some mucus in the water that comes out. It is usually done until there is no more mucous in the water. Repeat the other nostril.

You can do this several times per day, but do not do it before you lie down because the residual will drain down the back of your throat and will cause a cough or tickle in your throat.

There are also commercially prepared kits that you can purchase at your local pharmacy. They are priced anywhere from $8.00-$13.00.

If you feel any pain or a gagging sensation, you are most likely doing the procedure too aggressive.

I hope these things help, and you feel better soon!

If you found my answer helpful, please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort.

Nurse Milli

I also wanted to add that you ca