CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326
Health

i am on coumadin, and I have been coughing up bright red blood

and now dark blood I... Show More
and now dark blood I have had a chest exray, and a ct scan of the chest and the sinus. The condition stopped for 2 weeks now it is back, I have been coughing up blood and have gone though several boxes of tissues. My doctor wants me to see a pulmonarist. What does this mean? What's wrong with me? Am I dying? Do I have cancer? HELP ME PLEASE
Category: Health
replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry you are experiencing this...I am sure it is very frightening for you. While it can mean cancer it can also mean an esophageal tear, or something else. Being on coumadin would definately make you more apt to bleed more than normal and make it harder to heal if it is a tear. What does the blood look like.. anything in it?
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
the blood is bright red. Just recently I coughed up bright red blood with dark red blood
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN) replied 7 years ago.

You may be experiencing a viscious circle of coughing which is irritating a tear or other injury and bleeding which continues because you continue to cough. You really need to stop the cigarettes right now so you can begin to stop coughing... by smoking you are continually irritating what ever it is that is bleeding. I know how difficult it is to quit... but just do it. It's a much better option than continuing to go through what you are going through now. There are a number of websites that can help you to quit..do a search for quit smoking. Try not to worry yourself to much, chances are inyour favor with a negative CT and Xrays that you are most likely not dealing with lung cancer. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know how you do, and if you have any more questions just ask:-)