CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I had cardiac catheritization. 3 stints were installed in one

I had cardiac catheritization. 3 stints were installed in one artery. Dr. has me on Plavix and baby asperin. Want to get off Plavix as soon as possible. What determines when I can get off Plavix?
thanks bob
Hi and thank you for your question. The FDA recommends taking plavix for a year after a stent has been put in, it can be for a longer or shorter period of time depending upon your Doctor's order which is determined by your individual situation. I hope this information helps, is so, please click accept. Thank you and I wish you the best!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The

I am sorry your post did not come through..please send again, thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The doctor told me I could be on Plavix for a month or a year. I know this. My question is what does he do to determine how long I will be on Plavix
This question is best answered by your cardiologist because only he would know what type of stent you have. Those that have a drug-eluting stent have mandated minimum durations of therapy with plavix and aspirin following the stent placement. Those receiving a sirolimus-eluting stent must take plavix plus aspirin for a minimum of 2 to 3 months followingthe surgery, and those receiving a polymer-based paclitaxel-eluting intracoronary stent need to receive plavix plus aspirin for a minimum of 6 months following stent placement. The reason for this is the delay in re-endothelialization of the artery following the procedure and the plavix therapy is required to prevent thrombosis.