CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

Hello! Last november my dermatologist prescribed minocycline

Customer Question

Hello! Last november my dermatologist prescribed minocycline for a skin problem, twice a day for three months. About a week after taking minocycline i noticed that i started having motion sickness. I have never had this problem in the past. I had a chance to move my business to my house, so i continued with minocycline until the skin condition cleared. Only after stopping the medicine and realizing that I am still really carsick, I started doing research on the internet and realized that my vestibular problem might have been minocycline induced. Its has been a year now and I am still housebound. It got a bit better, but I can not spend over 15-20mins in the car, forget flying. But the strange thing is that if i go out for dinner, on the way there i feel sick, but if i have a glass of wine at dinner, on the way back home i feel fine, not a sign of sickness. This has made me wonder whether it could be a phychological problem, not physiological. Please let me know your opinion. Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry you have been homebound for so long after taking minocycline. While it is possible to have felt dizziness while taking tetracycline and until it cleared your body, it is doubtful that there remains an issue that could have been caused by the medication. The fact that one glass of wine cures the problem, lends credibility to your suspiscion of this problem being psychological. If this is psychological, you may benefit from some cognitive behavioral therapy through your local mental health clinic. I hope this informtaion helps you, if so, please click accept. IF you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime! I wish you the best:-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your answer. I just wanted to make sure that minocycline doesnt cause any permament damage to the body. I have tried vertigoheel, which is a medicine that helps to cure vertigo that comes from the nervous system, but it didnt seem to have much effect. Perhaps i will try it again. My biggest problem is that i am the only person who works in my family and there are so many people dependant on me. And now, during the crisis i am managing to keep my business successful and i cannot take any time off work to go through an extensive medical check up. Plus i live on a meditterannean island (i grew up in the us), and the health system is not as good as in the usa, especially the psyhological branch. I had recently ordered the electric wrist band for motion sickness, i am supposed to receive it next week. Do you think there is a chance it might have an effect on my condition? I appreciate you opinion. Thank you
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.

Yes it may very well help you, especially if you believe it will. ( the power of the mind is incredible! )

Since it is difficult for you to arrange outside treatment there are some things you can do on your own. Here is an article about cognitive behavioral therapy that may help you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the article, I looked through it briefly, I will read it more carefully tonight. Many of my friends do say what it says in the article, that the problem is "in my head". Its a bit weird for me to acknowledge it, because i have never ever experienced anything like this, i used to travel very frequently and fly transatlantic over ten times per year. Im sure you understand that having some wine before going places is definitely not an option for me, as are prescription drugs that may cause drowsiness and whatever else, since i need to be alert at all times. The big problem is that i cant drive myself, because have a problem with my eyesight as well, and i cant have laser surgery or contacts. The only option is implantable contacts and they dont offer this surgery in the country where i live. And as you may guess travelling is not an option for me at this time. I wouldnt even make it to the airport. Anyway, sorry for bothering you with the details. Ill try the wrist band next week. I guess if it doesnt help, ill look for a therapist. My main reason for contacting you was to find out if minocycline can cause this serious of a damage. Good luck to you. And thank you for your answers.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome. I understand that it may be a hard pill to swallow because you are so on top of everything, responsible for so much. This by no means has any derogatory meanning.... simply a learned behavior that can be unlearned. I do wish you the best:-)