Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

I stopped taking birth control pills about 4 weeks ago after

I stopped taking birth control pills about 4 weeks ago after being on them for over 10 years. Since I stopped I have had a mingrain that won't seem to go away?? Is this a normal side effect?? I normaly get menstrual migraines.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 6 years ago.

Though migraine is not a normal side effect related after stopping birth controll pills but it is do observed in patients who stopped the pills after taking them a long time.Somtime a stressful situation of life do aggravate the frequency of having migraines like an over work at job or at home ,some emotional trauma etc.However now what you can do is just to take measures to prevent the migraine like avoiding stress ,disciplining your life like fixing meal times and awake and sleep pattrens etc.Also avoid choclates and caffeinated drinks.Avoid flashing lights like watching TV in dark room or going cinemas.Tab Cafergot will be helpful .

Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 6 years ago.
You can try taking tab Topiramate as a prophylaxis medication instead of Amitryptyline.It has good efficacy and result nowadays.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your response. How long should it take for the pill to be out of your system if you have been on the pill for over 10 years?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 6 years ago.
The effect of residual harmones can last till a few months like from 2 months to six months but it will not be more than that.