CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

right knee to my ankle freezes up sometimes if I flex my foot

I am a 55yr. old female. The outside of my right leg from half way below my knee to my ankle freezes up sometimes if I flex my foot a certain way. It is very painful and sometime happens when I'm sleeping since I have no control how my foot is flexed. This seemed to come on when I started taking Evista several years ago for my osteopenia. I read that one of the side effects is muscle cramping. But this is more of a hardening feeling. My doctor took me off Evista 2 weeks ago and has me on Femhrt, (HTR) since I am starting to go through Menopause this year and have been having debilitating hot flashes. Is this a residual effect from the Evista or maybe a sign of something more serious. Also to mention, I have an injury on the side of the leg, right above where the hardening occurs. I was bitten by a pit bull dog. It was 20 years ago but still bulges out slightly, maybe from scar tissue, it is fairly big in diameter. Thanks for your opinion.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am sorry you are having these pains in your leg. In view of your symptoms and the fact that you have a nearby injury. Scar tissue develops when there is trauma to tissue, such as in your previous dog bite. In many cases the scar tissue can be minimized through normal stretching and activity. However, when serious scar tissue develops it can cause numbness of the nerves in an area, decreased flexibility, and ultimately, pain. The areas where the scar tissue attaches to the healthy tissue can become irritated with use, which can cause the muscle fibers above and below the scar tissue to go into a protective contraction ( spasm). Sometimes massage is helpful but in cases where it is not surgery to remove the scar tissue may help.I hope this informtaion helps you, if so, please click accept. If you have any further questions, I am here to help you:-)