Karen RN, BSN
Karen RN, BSN, Nurse
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in Med Surg nursing, Oncology, Neurology, Home health and Hospice

love is cause by chemicals such as Dopamine and norepinephrine

This is a question out of curiosity. I read that love is cause by chemicals such as Dopamine and Norepinephri. Theoretically, if these chemichals were to be injected onto someone; what would be the effects?
Category: Health
Expert:  Karen RN, BSN replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I thank you for contacting Just Answer. Yes, falling in love is a very good feeling. When you address giving norepinephrin or dopamine as a medication you must think of it as if it were naturally produced in your body. It produces a 'flight or fight' responce..It increases the heart rate and increases the blood pressure giving

you a since of well being. This is a warm excitablere responce, your highest and lowest emotions really feel the same in terms of how the bodys cardiovascular system respond. Love is excitable and so are the bodies responce to these drugs. This could be a since of really good or really bad.

If I have helped you with your question please click on the ACCEPT button. A bonus is always a good thing as is positive feedback. Karen

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Karen, that helped!
I just was a bit more curious about how it would effect someone, say tommorow I meet a girl, and right before I do I inject myself with those chemichals (theoretically) would that have an effect on the way I see this person, and feel for her?

Hi, You are trying to hard to fall in love! HA!

You must realize that falling in love is the effects of things other than the natural production of neosenepherine and/ or dopamine. It is also dependent upon other senses that are causing your body to produce these chemical changes. Those being visual stimuli, and olfactory stimuli ( the olfactory stimuli is not perfumes but those hormones which produce a un-noticable fregrance causing the autonomic responce of neosenephrine and dopamine.) These senses give direction to the excitability emotion. The injection of the drugs would increase your heart rate and blood pressure that could give you a sence of impending fear rather that the overwheming since of passion.

Hope this helps..Karen

Don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I see, very interesting!
Here is my final question!
Is it possible to create something out of what we know about love chemichals that could "manipulate" a person to fall in love with someone? Say it were an experiment, would it be "possible" one day to bring two subjects who dont have any feelings for eachother, inject them with the "love formula" and witness a change on how they feel for eachother?

It seems as though the real question is 'what is love'? You must realize in many cultures there are arranged marriages in which after a period of time 'love' grows or doesn't. If you were able to give a 'love formula' that would cause two subjects that have no feelings for each other to feel they are in love... is this just a false feeling that would change back after the 'love formula' has worn off; and if so if that formula were to be given again would that same emotion be emulated by person 1 with someone entirely different.

Very interesting. I'm sure there are experiments with other beings that would lead to the answer to these questions. At this time I really like the way things are.

If I have stimulated your thinking please click on the ACCEPT button. Karen

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Karen,
Very interesting! But that doesnt really answer my question! I would like to know if creating a formula like this is "possible" ?
Did you get my answer? Karen

Edited by Karen RN, BSN on 11/2/2009 at 12:50 AM EST

Hi, I wrote a long answer and it seems it didn't go through, sorry!!

To the best of my knowledge and research there are no chemicals that can be administered to human beings that can produce 'love'.

Love as humans know it is a unique biological reaction between the sensory and autonomic systems of our being. This same or simular behavior has been observed and reported in some other mammals.

Those who have written about the 'love formula' are discussing behavioral changes which can effect anothers love responce. This has been reported to be more prevelant in women who respond in a loving manner to someone who has accomplished these behavioral changes.

Thanks for the interesting question.. Please click on the ACCEPT button so I will get paid for my time. If not Just Answer gets your deposit. Thanks again..Karen