Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

When I vomited, the first and only time, there were traces

When I vomited, the first and only time, there were traces of bright red blood, but not a lot of it. I was wondering what the possible cause(s) could be for throwing up some blood.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Well, traces of bright red blood could be from a number of things:

Blood from the "upper GI system", meaning esophagus, stomach, and duodenum, such as from inflammation like gastrits or peptic ulcers. However, this is typically more than just a trace of blood, and typically darker red, than bright red.

It could also be from small tears in the esophagus, though again more likely to be more than just traces of blood.

It could be from the nose itself, like a nose bleed.

Or it could also be from the lungs itself, where traces of blood in the mucus are mixed in with the stomach contents and thus it appears that this is in the vomit, though actually it was originally from the respiratory tract.

So -- it is important to keep an eye on yourself, and if this should continue -- then you would need to be evaluated by your doctor.