Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

prostate cancer surgery back on 2003..implanted on me..entire prostate

I had prostate cancer surgery back on 2003. i have theraseed implanted on me.questions, how good are they and how long i'ii be protected and if i can have them remove the entire prostate to avoid the cancer return.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Those implants helped to deliver radiation to the area in the prostate.

Their job was to deliver radiation to the area around where they were implanted to help stop the growth of the prostate cancer.

However, because of radiation decay -- the effects of the radiation have long since gone. The immediate weeks (probably about 3 weeks) after implantation was the peak effect of these seeds.

So -- that treatment was done for a short time -- to have a lasting effect on prostate cancer growth. So, while the seeds are not currently "protecting" you, they may have stopped the growth of the cancer in 2003. Certainly, you should be followed by your doctor with PSA tests to look for recurrence of the cancer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
did not answered if the prostate can be removed with the theraseed still on.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
In general -- removal of the prostate is not routinely considered after the seeds -- because of a much higher risk of bowel and urinary incontinence.

But, it can be done in highly specialized centers (referred to as "salvage prostatectomy").

So, while not routinely done, it is possible.