Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

My 26 year old son has a temp. of 102.5, aches and pains, and

My 26 year old son has a temp. of 102.5, aches and pains, and a cough. Should he rush to the E.R. or hang in there until tomorrow, and the symtoms are the same, call his doc? He is otherwise in great physical condition and health. Thanks...A concerned mom!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

When did his symptoms start?
Is he feeling short of breath?
Any headache? Rash? Neck stiffness?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This morning when he woke up..No rash, shortness of breath, some neck stiffness.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

Most likely he has the flu.
If he is having neck stiffness and headache though, he needs to go to the emergency room.
If he is moving his neck, no headache and no light sensitivity, he does not need to go to the emergency room and can wait to speak with his doctor in the morning.
Treatment for the flu, since he is healthy with no underlying medical conditions is fluids, ibuprofen or tylenol for fever and aches and pains and over the counter cough/cold preparations.

But again, if he has neck stiffness and headache, he needs to go to the emergency room with the concern of meningitis.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!