CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

i wonder if anyonr can help me. i hurt my back in the summer.

i wonder if anyonr can help me. i hurt my back in the summer. mri scan showed L4/5 posterior radial annular tear without any significant disc hernation with no nerve root compression and only minimal anterior thecal indentation. the neurosurgeon told me to rest and potter for 6wks. during this time the tingling in the left leg continued but also started in the right leg. I phoned the neurosurgeons secretary but the surgeon wouldn't see me but I was sent for another scan. the scan result was basically same as the first one, pain in back and legs got worse but still the surgeon wouldn't see me. after lots of phone calls to the secretary i was sent for an epidural 2 days ago. I havn't had anyother treatment eg: physio and do not see the surgeon until December. Is this normal practice or should I seek a second opinion as my back has got worse. Thankyou
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. This can be considered normal practice, a surgeon, while preferable, does not have to see the patient if he has ordered and evaluated a new scan and found no change. His advice to rest was so that your condition could improve. Now that you have had the epidural you should continue to rest your back ( no strenuous any thing, no uexcessive walking, no unnecessary bending etc...) and give it a bit more time. A follow up in December is approiriate to this situation. I hope this information helps you, if so, please click accept. Thank you and I wish you the best! :-)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for helpful reply. was just wondering whether should have physio as back muscles getting weaker by the day.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
At this juncture, I do not believe so..but it would depend upon the type of physio you would receive. it would be best to avoid unnecessary pressure on the area.