Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

his ankle..prescribed antibiotics..honey anti bacterial lotion cause

Have you heard anything about manuka honey being effective in treating ecoli infection in a wound? My partner has been diagnosed with this in his ankle (he is a diabetic) but I am concerned that so far he has not been prescribed antibiotics. Would the honey anti bacterial lotion cause any problems with any 'conventional' medicine?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

How is his wound been dressed at the moment?

Has he been told what type of wound it is?

What is the size across the ankle, and the depth?

Edited by Pauline on 11/1/2009 at 12:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has been dressed with a regular bandaid with a double tube bandage on the top. He removes it and changes the bandaid daily (he gets the wound wet in the shower). The wound is about 1.5ins x 1.5 ins (not sure about depth but one of the docs mentioned that the infection may be close to the bone) and he has been told that it is badly ulcerated.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

This wound needs a full evaluation with either a specialist nurse in wound management or a doctor with experience in diabetic ulcers. The challenge is whether the ulcer is infected or colonized with the E.Coli. If infected then antibiotics are needed, but if colonized then antibiotics would only raise risk of resistance.

We are seeing manika honey being used in ulcer treatment but at the moment I would consider the use of silver colloid dressing first. A regular bandaid would only encourage sweating and not create the right healing environment. He can obtain a 'shower sleeve' to wear on his leg to keep his leg dry, his pharmacy or dermatology department may have local sources in your area.

Due to his history of diabetes then he will be slower to heal than others, he needs to ensure good blood glucose control. The other thing is that injuries over a bone may track to the bone so if it becomes long term he will need scans to check that there is no evidence of osteomyelitis.