Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

i.m age 75,female, experiencing cracked feet . Podiatrist

i.m age 75,female, experiencing "cracked feet". Podiatrist recommending OTC medications -stating this may
be autoimmune. My heels are very sore,cracked and occasionally have a little spot of blood. I even wrap
my feet at night with plastic wrap to make certain the medications do not wick out on my socks that I wear
to bed. I need help, I am a very active person and still working as office mgr. advice???
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Using creams containing urea 10% can be helpful when the skin is this badly cracked. Use frequently then apply cotton socks to allow it to soak in. Petroleum Jelly is also helpful but very greasy.

I would recommend that you avoid feet soaks, but if you do then use an oil based emollient in the basin. Ensure that you wear comfortable footwear and avoid 'flip-flops' or 'mules' which flap across your feet when you walk.

If you find that you have dry eyes and dry mouth then ask your doctor to run an auto-immune screen. In terms of diet, drink plenty of water and have plenty of fruit and vegetables with a high vitamin C which is thought to help in skin repair. Evening Primrose capsules have historically been used by people with dry skin although significant clinical evidence is not available to support this.