Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

kidney disease with only 55 % of kidneys working

Customer Question

i have cirrohois and was just told that i have kidney disease with only 55 % of kidneys working. How will this affect me? Whats can I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Do you have the results of any blood tests such as for urea or creatine?

What medication do you take?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
creatine 1.9
urea nitrogen 23
absolute non african 54
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
bun/creatine 26 (6-22)
urea nitrogen 23
egfr absolute non african 54
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the information, at the moment although there is a decline in your renal function, it still has a good degree of function. You obviously need to eat a healthy diet, and moderate salt intake. You should speak to your doctor about fluid intake. As your kidneys decline then you may have to restrict your fluid intake but at the moment do make sure that you are drinking 8 glasses of water daily.

You will need regular blood tests and you will also need urine sample to look for protein in the urine.

Your medication will need to be carefully managed by someone experienced with renal issues and your blood pressure needs to be carefully controlled.

Avoid medication such a ibuprofen and I would assume that you are not drinking alcohol at the moment?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was worried that having this on top of cirrohois might be a problem. Will having both kidney and liver disease make them get worse faster?
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

The kidney disease is most likely secondary to the liver disease, so the liver disease is having a detrimental effect on the workings of your kidneys. I imagine that you are under the care of a liver specialist who will be aware of this common problem and will be using medical management to prevent deterioration as much as he/she can. However as you are aware, cirrhosis is a serious condition and this can cause a number of affects across the body. Maintaining blood pressure to the kidneys is very important to prevent sudden deterioration into acute renal failure but damage can also occur to the tubules within the kidneys and the mechanism for this is poorly understood.