Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

i had unpretected sex one week ago and feel feverish and sore

Customer Question

i had unpretected sex one week ago and feel feverish and sore what could that be so worried
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any reason to believe your partner was high risk?

Do you have any rash, discharge or other symptoms?

What is your temperature?

Where are you sore?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no rash no discharge or other symtoms temp ok sore bottom right of ma back could be the gym though
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

The first thing is that symptoms of HIV infection usually appear 2-12 weeks after infection with flu-like symptoms,joint swelling, lymph node swelling etc so if this is your only episode of unprotected intercourse then at this point your symptoms are not likely to be HIV but if you are worried then see your doctor about a test. You can also ask for swabs/sample to rule out gonorrhea and chlamydia too. Obviously we do recommend the use of condoms to reduce risk of STDs.

Having said that, your symptoms of feverish and aches can be any number of problems from a bacterial or viral infection to just overdoing things at the gym. If you have pain in the flank with a fever then I would suggest ruling out a kidney infection with a urine sample.

If your temperature is not elevated then you can manage your symptoms with tylenol/panadol for the aches and pain, but any high fever or new symptoms would be reason to see a doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it the same for hepititus as hiv and what side affects would i have ? and can that be cured ?
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

The incubation period for hepatitis B is over 4 weeks and as well as flu-like illness would possibly cause light stools, dark urine and right sided abdominal pain just under the ribcage.

Depending where you live then you may have had hepatitis B vaccine as a child, and you can check this out with your doctor. If you are worried about this long term then as k your doctor for a vaccine if you are not protected.