Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

can you please tell me more about degenerative scolious is

Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Hello, what do you need to know?

Can you tell me more about the patient and their symptoms?

How long have they had the problem?

What has been tried so far?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have had this problem for some years. but have only been told in the last few months.

i am in constant pain .down most of my spine .if i stay in one posision for any length of

time. also if i try to walk any distance.

Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Degenerative scoliosis is when there are age related changes in the joints within the backbone (vertebrae) which cause the normal spacing between the joints to become skewed. This then leads to movement in the structure and a curve begins to develop.

In some patients, it is not always painful but if you are finding that you are in pain then regular painkillers are important to allow you to maintain mobility. Start with regular tylenol/panadol to see if it makes any difference.

It is important to stay mobile, and a physical therapist can help you with exercises which will build up the muscles around the back and help with posture.Ensuring that you are not overweight is also important.

Back braces have been suggested to help with support to help with mobility and some patients may go on to have surgery depending on the degree and location of the affected problem.

Has your doctor discussed surgery as an option?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
surgery has not been discussed. i have to have further tests to start with a AP andLATERAL of the whole spine. what is this type of xray
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

This is a normal plain x-ray with a view from the front of the body (AP) and then from the side (Lateral), this will show up the bony structure and allow an idea of the extent of the curve and damage to the bones in the spine.

Depending on the results of this, your doctor may suggest an MRI to look at the soft tissue parts of the back to see if specific nerve compression can be identified.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i forgot to put spondolitis on my question so can you tell me more
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Spondylitis literallly means 'inflammation of the joints of the backbone'. There is a type which affects younger population called Ankylosing Spondylitis and this is a form of arthritis that requires long term medication and regular daily exercise to prevent deterioration. You did not mention your age in your question.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.