Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I have brown spots on my foreskin and on my penis how should

I have brown spots on my foreskin and on my penis how should i treat this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Can you describe the spots? What is their size?

Are they raised or flat, smooth etc?

Any itch or penile discharge?

How long have they been a problem?

How many do you have?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the one on my penis is the size of a pin head the one on my foreskin is about the size of a raisen. the raisen one seems raised. It is not itchy and does not have a discharge. I noticed this about 3 months ago and was told it was liver spots and was not a problem. they seem to be getting bigger.

There are 7 in total.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

The skin over the penis is just like skin elsewhere in that it can get normal bumps which are not STD related. Liver spots are not a problem, merely increased pigmentation. However if the large one has changed significantly in size or texture then it is worth having it rechecked.

Often with skin lesions, I recommend taking a digital photo with the date and then checking after a period of time to see the extent of changes. Any doubt though, do see a dermatologist. He/she may suggest taking a biopsy to look at the nature of the skin and whether there is reason to remove the lesion.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
surely if it is a dermotolgy issue I would have needed to have been naked in the sun?
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Not all skin lesions will have a relationship to sun exposure. A frequently missed place for a type of melanoma is actually the sole of the foot.

I suspect that this is just a liver spot and changes to these are normal with age, however anything that changes signficantly needs to be followed up. A very large brown patch may be erythrasma which is treated with antibiotics although this is more groin than penile related.