Experience:  + 26 yr experience; amongst 'Top 100 Scientists', 'Top 100 Health Professionals', & Who's W

hi, i have an 11 year old son with a bad earache and I gave

Customer Question

hi, i have an 11 year old son with a bad earache and I gave him codeine to try and help the pain, our pediatrician does not have an oncall dr. and I was wondering what the dosage of augmentin would be and if i could start him on an antiobiotic,. i have a prescription that was filled recently but not used for my other child.
Category: Health
Expert:  RAJESH CHAUHAN replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Is the ache in one ear or both?

Any recent cold/ sore throat?

Any fever/ congestion?

Any discharge from the ear (s)?

Similar problem earlier?

Any other medical issues/significant history?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dr.

Left ear only. I suffered from them too as as child and he did have his adenoids removed when he was 5. In alot of pain and I wish our pediatricial had an on call Dr.

The augmentin prescription I have are 125 mg tablets, last trip to the emerg room they gave him antiobiotic and he was good as new in a few hours.

I gave him 1.5 tsp of codeine,. thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He doesnt have any other symptoms

1. Did he have a cold/ sore throat just recently?
  2. Any painful lumps/ nodes just below the angle of jaw/ or behind the ear?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no painful lymph nodes but sore throat last night

Can you see the ear drums clearly on both sides under a torch beam?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

everything looks normal. he has a little bit of ear wax in there

are earaches a symptom of swine flu? do i need to get him to a hospital or

can i give him the augmentin?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you still working on my question?

Thanks for the additional details. Having gone through your descriptions, it seems that giving him augmentin would not be a good idea unless checked up by a doctor and if there actually is a middle ear infection (AOM/OME). Since you have mentioned that there is wax in there, it could also be the issue here that is causing the problem here with just one ear being painful. Please have a look at these useful web resources that will help you with authentic details:

Yes, a flu (including swine flu) can lead to earache as a complication. Please have a look at this authentic web resource for further details:

Having said that, I think unless checked up it would difficult to establish the cause for the pain, and furthermore the codeine has provided no symptomatic relief so far. Hence I think that it would be prudent to check him in with a doctor/ hospital, so that the cause may be established and an appropriate care provided.

I hope that it helps. Best wishes.