CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Are the symptoms for a heart attack different for a woman that a man?

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. Significant differences exist between men and women in the symptoms of a heart attack .Women are more likely to have neck and shoulder pain, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and shortness of breath in addition to chest pain. Silent heart attacks are more common in women. Often, because of these atypical symptoms, women seek medical care later than do men. The symptoms in men are pain or discomfort in the center of the chest, discomfort in the arms, back, neck, jaw, or stomach, shortness of breath, a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness. I hope this information helps you, if so, please click accept. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you Chamille,

Would you suggest seeing my Dr. now, or wait until more of the 'atypical symptoms' happens. I cannot afford to jump to the Dr. at every little pain.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
Are you having symptoms of a heart attack NOW? Can you take your blood pressure and pulse.. do you have any palpitations?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no, not now, thank you. I have no way of taking my blood pressure, pulse is good right now.... i had dozed off i guess.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
If you have been experiencing symptoms of a heart attack it is imperative that you see Your Doctor. If these symptoms arise again, please go directly to the emergency room. While it may indeed be a false alarm, it could also be a life threatening heart attack. I do wish you the best :-)