Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Taking 160 mg lasix twice daily for fluid in legs.Also Suffer

Taking 160 mg lasix twice daily for fluid in legs.Also Suffer from congestive heart failure. Fluid build upis just retyrning (last 3 days). I have been taking the (2) 80 mg tablets at 10:00 am and the thye other (2) at midinite. Would takuing the second (2) at say 8pm be helpful in reducing the fluid, or would it be wise to take another 80 mg tablet? Thank you:[email protected]
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

A 12 hours gap is the best strategy for the lasix (taking it like 9 Am and 9 PM). An increase in dose (starting the third) should not be done without your physician's advice as it can cause electrolyte abnormalities. Your physician is the best judge in this respect, as he knows your ejection fraction of heart (important in congestive heart failure), other blood investigation and concomitant illness. A fluid built up do warrant talking to your physician and he may consider giving you another medication like digitalis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wouldthe digitalisbe in addition to the 320mg of Lasix? Or would this be a new prescription and the discontinuance of Lasix? Thank you Dr.

Digitalis would be addition to 320 mg of lasix. This is a prescription medication. Lasix is not discontinued.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun