Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.

in the middle of the night, i woke up with severe acid reflux.

in the middle of the night, i woke up with severe acid reflux. i have never had this before. i took some Tums and went back to bed. a few hours later, i woke up with a severe headache on my right temple. i took some Advil and went back to bed. as i woke up, all symptoms were gone. About 3:00 this afternoon I developed a sore throat and it now has progressed into a really bad sore throat. i am experiencing more than normal salvia and when i swallow, the pain is really bad, almost like there is something lodged on the right side of my throat. there is some minor swelling as I look into a mirror with a flashlight, but it feels like it is deep within my throat that I cannot see. I am a very active, very healthy 51 year old that has not been sick for over 20 years. Any ideas?
Hi, and thank you for coming to with your question.

Usually acid reflux will not cause the kind of pain you are describing. Because of the speed with which it came on I wonder if you have strep throat. Usually, as that starts/continues the throat becomes red and there are often white spots. The only treatment for this is antibiotics. The sooner antibiotics are started the better, as relief will come quicker, and you will not be contagious as long.
I wonder if the headache you experienced was related to a slight fever that the Advil held at bay until this afternoon.
My suggestion would be to go to a doctor as soon as possible. You don't NEED to go to the ER now, but it wouldn't be a terrible idea, as strep tends to get worse and more painful very quickly.

I hope you feel better soon.
G-d Bless

If you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask them.

If you are satisfied with my answer please click 'accept' so that I can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.