Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

I had allergy testing 52 hours ago. One of the reacted sub

I had allergy testing 52 hours ago. One of the reacted sub dermal shot areas swelling is increasing. The area is raised, red and itching. I have been putting benadryl cream on the area every 8 to 12 hours for 24 hours. I have continued to taking zyrtec for the last 2 days. Should I be worried about this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 years ago.

Dear freebirs,

What is the size, location and colour of the swelling?

any associated discharge or difficulty in breathing?

did you consult a doctor yet?

when are you scheduled for doctor's appointments?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The swelling 2 in by 1 1/2 in, the center that is more raised in 1/2 in by 3/4 in, on my left forearm, and is bright red in the center and the outer swelling is a lighter red . There is no discharge. I have asthma and my breathing is a little labored but no different than when I get nerves. I called the doctor yesterday about the swelling and he said to use benadryl, but the swelling has increased since than. My next appointment is not until the allergy shot injections come in.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 years ago.

Dear freebird,

Thank you for the information,

As per the symptoms described by you it seems that you have developed the allergy to shot given which is causing such swelling, redness at the local site.

It is treated by the application of steroid pointment locally over the site.The commonly used steroids are dexamethasone, betasol, clobetasol, etc and you may use any one of them.The daily application 2-3times aday and the swelling will decrese.

You may also continue to take the benadryl which may ease the symptoms.If there is signs of infection then antibiotics may be needed though the chances are less.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I need to go to a doctor or can I get one of these medication over the counter?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 4 years ago.

Dear freebird,

The low potency steroid ointments are available as OTC without prescription which you may get from near by pharmacy.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice